HP3000-L Archives

September 2001, Week 2

Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:40:50 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
I recall this being an issue with ftp. I have no idea whether or not it has
been addressed by the patches that Elizabeth Thayer mentions or not.

So, needing a behavior that is not readily available, what are your options?

I am not aware of any other ftp clients available for the 3000, although I
wouldn't mind finding out that I'm wrong. One thing that comes to mind is
seeing if you can realistically initiate the transfer from the other system,
which may or may not allow getting zero length files. NT does not make doing
this particularly easy, although MPE does have two rsh / remsh clients, and
the NT reskit does offer an rsh service, rshsvc. I wonder, if the send were
rewritten in perl, would Net::ftp allow you to send the zero length file? I
can send you some scripting for this, if that would help.

Are there any other file transfer mechanisms available for you, between your
3000 and the NT box? Since you are going to an NT system, would a smbclient
put do the trick? Conversely, it is an easy thing to write and then schedule
a batch file that would see a file in a SAMBA share on your 3000, and get
it.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com