HP3000-L Archives

September 2001, Week 2

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:15:24 -0600
"Jan Gerrit Kootstra" <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message
> Donna,

> It has nothing to do with the answer you gave. I just like to know some of
> the abbreviations used on Usenet or mailing lists.
> What does ymmv mean?
> Regards,
> Jan Gerrit

'Your mileage may vary'

American automobile advertising disclaimer indicating that gas consumption
figures quoted may not be achieved, in practice, by every driver, due to
individual differences in driving style, etc.

Used on the Internet to signify that your experience, attitude, opinion or
WHY [1] may differ from that being described, proposed, or advocated.

[1] what-have-you.  Indication that other, similar, things may qualify for
inclusion in this list.

--
Roy Brown

Who has rather lost the stomach for such things at present, but is trying
anyway.
The world changed yesterday, not for the better, and I am sick to my heart.
My thoughts go out to the many hundreds dead, and the many thousands who
knew them, loved them, and never thought they were seeing them for the last
time.
I'm not a religious person, for good or ill, but the words that keep running
through my head are those of the old hymn:
'.....my richest gains I count but loss     and pour contempt on all my
pride'.