UTCSTAFF Archives

September 2001

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
James Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:14:23 -0400
I am certainly glad that we are having this service, though I cannot
attend.

I am of two minds about holding classes as usual today. I don't like the
idea of giving way to terrorists and permitting them to disrupt the fabric
of American life. On the other hand, I think that there should have been a
day of mourning here.

I just met my 9:00 a.m. class and was prepared to lecture as usual. But I
assumed (and think that I was correct to do so) that they really would not
want to hear about Puritianism in colonial New England. So, instead of
lecturing, I just opened up the class to the students. I asked some
questions. How should we respond to yesterday's horrors? What restrictions
if any should be imposed on foreigners seeking entry into this country?
Students had some interesting answers to those and other questions. One
student in that class is from Bangladesh. It was useful for him to be
there since he was in a position to offer some important insights on
Islam.

In any case, when and where it is appropriate today, some of you might
find it worthwhile to let your students talk.

Mike Russell