UTCSTAFF Archives

September 2001

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Bill Stacy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Stacy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:56:40 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

All of us are shocked and saddened at the outrage of the apparent terrorist
attacks on our nation.  We join our hearts and will in prayers for the
victims of the horror in New York and Washington.

Terrorists take a terrible toll on all of us, clearly injury and loss of
life.  The aims of the terrorists include, however, instilling fear in the
rest of us, trying to freeze us in despair to doubt ourselves our leaders,
our systems, our infrastructure.  As horrible as the reports of hijacking
and the television pictures of destruction of The World Trade Center and
other sites, there clearly must be massive injury and death of Americans.

This country will care for its injured, bury its dead,  determine what
happened, and who caused this horror.
Terrorism is the long-feared new dimension of world conflict.  Americans
will rally in prayer and in best analysis to fight this horror.  We will
not be crushed by these attacks.

Today, I would like to urge the UTC family to avoid the terrorists' hopes
that we will be hopelessly paralyzed. The Vice Chancellors and I just met
to discuss the options for the campus - and for prayer for the victims and
our country's leaders.  We respectfully have lowered our nation's flags in
respect for the victims and for the United States of America. We have noted
that our Emergency Plan is ready if needed and can be activated at a
moment's notice.

We have conferred also with President Fly.  Our request to the campus is
that we respectfully continue our academic day.  Faculty and staff may wish
to help with students' and their own concerns about the news that continues
to unfold about the terrorist attacks.  Let us not jump to conclusions or
accusations.  The identities of the perpetrators will be known soon enough.

Please continue classes, meetings, and activities that are regularly
scheduled.  We will keep you informed of any information that might be
helpful.  It is probably most helpful for faculty and staff to remain
"extraordinarily" accessible to students during this national emergency.

Thank you.

Bill Stacy