UTCSTAFF Archives

September 2001

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
James Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 21:11:23 -0400
From what a couple of individuals have told me, I gather that I have not
made my position entirely clear about United Fund's request for funding.
What I am proposing is that faculty and staff consider withholding all
donations to the United Fund campaign.  Since we all know that United Fund
is an umbrella organization which funds many worthwhile charities, I also
believe that we should contribute to individual charities sheltered under
that umbrella.  They should not all be punished because of an error in
judgment by our local United Fund administrators.  But the contributions
should go directly to those charities; they should not be routed through
United Fund.

In my judgment, it would not be appropriate to simply check a box on the
pledge cards we will soon receive expressing our desire to contribute to a
specific charity.  If we do that, United Fund can say nothing is wrong
with its campaign as evidenced by the fact that plenty of money is
rolling in.  But something is wrong.  United Fund has chosen to endorse by
its silence an organization which is engaged in outright discrimination

Mike Russell