UTCSTAFF Archives

September 2001

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
William Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:23:06 -0400
Here is my idea of a good mission statement.

MISSION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT CHATTANOOGA

"The mission of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is to educate
Tennesseeans and others to national leadership and achievement in the
fields that it offers."

OR, "The mission of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is to
educate students to national leadership and achievement."

This statement would/may:
-Focus our efforts with respect to honors students AND the
salt-of-the-earth people who make up the majority of the students served by
UTC (C students may become President of the United States,too).
-Provide the basis for superordinate goals and short term operational
objectives
-Give direction to our efforts to achieve diversity for both educative and
egalitarian reasons
-Support the larger vision that community leaders have for the Chattanooga area
-Give focus to the ideas of teaching, research, and service and provides a
basis for evaluation of individuals and programs
-Give the flexibility needed to visualize the ideal citizen who would
contribute to building and fine tuning a successful democratic state
-Support efforts to build specialized programs within a liberal arts context

Dr. William R. Lee, Professor
Music