UTCSTAFF Archives

September 2001

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Ed Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:02:04 -0400
To Faculty/Staff,

I would like to share two websites that contain helpful resources for those
of us interested in helping students and ourselves cope with the current
international situation:

www.counseling.org - website of the American Counseling Association.
Has a link dedicated to dealing with crisis, grief, etc.

www.nasfa.org - similar link, but also has a good set of guidelines for
leading class discussions. It is the website of an Int'l Student
Educator/Administrator's Organization.

Also, not generally being a W. Bush supporter, I was extremely impressed
by his words yesterday regarding not holding all Muslims, people from the
Mid-east, and especially U.S. Citizens from these groups, responsible.
Very eloquent and very forceful words.

I hope he was heard by all Americans. Also, I want to remind everyone that
our center is available to help in anyway possible with individuals or groups
affected by this situation. We are as sensitive to the issue of backlash and
how this could affect some of our foreign students or students of other
religions and ethnic backgrounds as we are to our "mainstream" students.

Have a good day,

Ed Smith
Counseling and Career Planning Center