UTCSTAFF Archives

September 2001

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Bill Stacy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Stacy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:05:58 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

People all across the nation and around the world are still struggling with
the horror of the attack on New York and Washington last Tuesday.  I was
grateful as were many of you for the efforts of the Student Development
staff and the Campus Ministries of UTC to put together a memorial service
Wednesday.  That time of mourning for the victims of the terrorist attacks
and reflection on our nation was very important to many of us.

Late today, President George W. Bush declared Friday, September 14, 2001, a
National Day of Mourning.  At UTC, I would ask that we join our nation in
solemn remembrance of the victims, their families and friends, and the
reflection of a nation that wrestles with how this happened and what to do
about it.

Classes at noon will be suspended.  All work will stop on the campus
between 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m.

We would invite faculty, staff, students, and campus visitors to take this
hour to find a quiet place of reflection.  Some of you may want to join
with others in Patten Chapel where campus ministers will be present to
assist.  Others may want simply to find a spot on the campus green, a park,
or a quiet room near their office seeking solace in their faith and
remembering those whose lives have been touched so terribly by this tragedy.

Other campuses in the University of Tennessee are also taking this noon
hour for reflection.  We are learning increasingly that university faculty,
staff, and students may have friends and families missing or injured in the
horror of the terrorist attacks.  Our condolences go not only to states far
away but to our colleagues here at home.

Thank you.

Bill Stacy