SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 11:14:23 +1000
On Monday, September 03, 2001 4:25 AM, John Hauer wrote:

> OK John,
> You got to me.
> I, too, have some pet peeves for bad boat DM's.
(snip)
> When the DM says, "This dive will be 60 feet for 40 minutes."
(snip)
> DM says, "Everyone will be back on the boat with at least 500 PSI."
(snip)
> DM, " Everyone must stay with your guide."
(snip)
> We, too, listen to every word from the DM's, then adjust *OUR* dive
> appropriately.

(snip)

> In the end, I'm paying. I'm diving. It's my trip. If I'm not doing
anything
> stupid, I feel that I should be left to my own dive.

Hi, John!  What you say is true enough - but not everybody's who holds a
certification card, (of whatever level), is actually qualified to plan their
own dives!  :-)

It may not be politically correct to do so, but I've always advised DM's to
cover their bums by imagining the questions that they might be asked at a
Coronial Inquest.  In that sense, the dive briefing is as much for their
benefit - or should be - as it is for the paying customers. :-)

To my way of thinking, whether or not people adhere to the dive briefing is
a matter for them to decide.  I can't recall an instance when I've ever been
inconvenienced by one.  If I don't like the parameters that a DM sets, then
I'll talk it over with them, (one-on-one after a 'group' briefing), and
detail my own proposed profile.  (Unless it's a site that I'm unfamiliar
with.  In which case, I'll usually go along with their plan providing that
it errs on the side of safety!)  :-)

Nevertheless, it still never ceases to surprise me just how many people
regard the dive briefing as an affront to their intelligence and
'experience', and who fail to pay attention.  Something that, more often
than not, has the potential to inconvenience the entire group.  (The 'lost
buddy' procedure springs instantly to mind.  Only recently my buddy and I
discovered a lone diver poddling around looking at the fishes.  I signed,
asking him where his buddy was?  He looked around, shrugged his shoulders
and carried on looking at the fish before I indicated that all three of us
should ascend.  We waited for a while on the surface before beginning a
lengthy surface swim back to the beach.  Fortunately his buddy returned -
underwater - back to the beach just as I was about to alert the rescue
authorities!  "I was fine."  He said.  "I had plenty of air.  What were you
worrying about?"   My response has been deleted in the interests of good
taste!)  :-)

In most instances, of course, people choose an operator based on the type of
diving that they offer and allow.  In that sense, any later complaints about
a DM's dictatorial attitudes are often a result of bad planning on the part
of the customers!  :-)

Having said that, there are also some crap DM's out there who regard their
role as an opportunity to assert themselves un-necessarily.  In which case,
just go along for the ride - and then detail your complaints to the operator
and, if felt necessary, to the appropriate training agency.

> From the boat's point
> of view, liability is a big issue in the states. They are worried about
> accidents and law suits. So they feel that they need to put up the most
> conservative front. Too bad.

'Conservative' is a key-word when it comes to diving safety!  :-)

Strike