SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2001

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 16:57:19 -0400
I'll get help from my office IT staff first chance I get, but it occurs to
me that you might have a suggestion that I can employ sooner.

My office provided me a copy of Norton AntiVirus 2001 for my home computer
(Windows 98).  As the program loaded, before it created any emergency boot
disks, etc., it found a virus (didn't expect to have a problem, so I didn't
catch the name of the virus).  The infected file could not be cleaned, so I
told Norton to delete it.  That appears to have been a big mistake.  My
computer is now reporting tha tit can not find hcsmtevbusnjd.exe.  Worse, it
seems that this file is what the system uses to open all applications.  In
short, I can't open anything, including my Windows 98 CD.  I tried to direct
the program to CABS, but had no luck there either.  There is no file by that
name in the Windows ME or Windows 2000 drives I have for this computer.

Any ideas?

Lee