SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2001

From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 19:29:21 -0700
> >I got in a little trouble from my work mate with some of my
> > comments while viewing the Monet collection.
> > Here is a snip of her post about our day out.
> > >NEVER EVER take the "Great Unwashed" to cultural venues to
> uplift
> > >their eddication and appreciation fer the finer points in
> life!
> > >It would not have been so bad if the "Great Unwashed" could
> have been
> > >discreetly and quietly unimpressed with ART. Nope.  By the
> "Great
> > >Unwashed", I am referring to KK and the Spouse. Here are
> some of their
> > >more horrific loud comments today:
> > >KK: That doan look nuffink like sea in that pic!! Looks
> like a mob
> > >of bleedin woolly lambs with those funny fluffy
> brushstrokes!!
> > >KK: You mean ter tell me he painted 33 pics of bleedin
> haystacks?!!!
>
> I split my sides laughing and imagining the looks that you
> would have
> attracted, you little kulcha-vulcha, you!  :-)
>
> Strike

That's funny!

Coupla weeks ago I just happened to fly back to Canada to "drop"
in on my folks 50th Anniversary. Now it's only been 3 years
since my last visit but when I arrived in Calgary I was suddenly
awestruck with the cultural cringe.

Canadians are supposed to be bi-lingual...french and english (or
so we are told) During my visit I did have reason to fly a small
regional airline for a quick trip to another western Canada
city.

The safety spiel was performed by the crew in perfect english
and judging by their western Canadian regional dialect, I was
wondering how they were going to manage with the french version.
Here I was expecting the phonetic french version as learned from
the air hostess manual.

This was an exact quote. "Now ensure that your tray table is
stowed and your seat fully in the upright position, and your
seat belt fastened ready for take-off.....now we will repeat the
safety demonstration in the language of love." In went a
cassette tape and out came the french.

I had to giggle. Despite the government's best efforts, western
Canadians steadfastly refuse to learn french, no matter how much
they force it upon us. I loved the nifty way this airline
managed to get around it.

For all I know, the recorded french version could have easily
been telling all the passengers to remove their underwear and
hurl them at the attendants. I dunno.

Cheers
Birdo