SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:53:19 +1000
On Tuesday, September 04, 2001 3:23 AM, Viv (aka Krazy Kiwi ) wrote:

(snip)
> Ive had a few DMs try the trick of pairing me up with a newbie diver.
> Totally unfair on that diver due to me taking a camera & personally I dont
> want to be responsible for someone I dont know from Adam.
(snip)

G'Day, Matette!  I've always felt that buddying with newbies is the real
role of the DM! :-)

Following the controversy surrounding the disappearance of the Lonnergan's
when they were left behind by their dive boat ('98), a plaintiff lawyer
tried to push the idea that all 'inexperienced' divers should be buddied
with 'experienced' divers.  The idea had a brief life!  :-)

Quite apart from the fact that it placed a patently unfair onus of
responsibility onto other customers who were paying an equal amount of money
to enjoy themselves - and who have the right to decide for themselves with
whom they wish to dive? - it's not good diving practice!  Especially when on
a live-aboard where even the experienced diver may have no knowledge of the
characteristics of a particular dive site.

And isn't the whole purpose of the buddy system to have equally matched - in
terms of experience and U/W interest - divers? :-)

Strike