SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2001

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 14:17:39 -0400
Richard Blackburn wrote:

> I am considering going to one of the dive quarries in Alabama.  I know there
> is one in Pelham, and another one in Glencoe.
>
> http://www.divealabama.com/
> http://www.headsouth.com/diveland/

Pelham is Blue Water Scuba, more affectionately known as the Blue Hole.
Compared to the springs, it's *COLD* below 20-25 feet and *DAMN COLD*
at the bottom.  Not a bad dive, but take/rent a 7mm suit at least.  Some
interesting things to see.  Beware of busy weekends when dive shops have
kiddies getting certified, visibility goes to hell, but otherwise is
pretty decent (20 feet or better unless you disturb the bottom).  They
have hot fills on site and EAN32 availableas well.

Haven't been to Glencoe yet. Mike Wallace can probably elaborate.

> Does anyone have info on these sites?  Are they worth visiting for practice?
> I have only logged 7 dives, springs in FL and off Key Largo, FL.

Just imagine a colder, muddier spring :-)

> We are planning to dive off of St. John, USVI in October, and would like to
> practice some more before I head to the island.

It's great for practice, though your weighting will be all screwed up
(you'll have to make significant adjustments between the 7mm cold fresh
water and a whatever-suit warm salt water).

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>