SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2001

From:
Don Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 00:16:46 -0500
David Strike wrote:
>G'Day, Don!  I may be off-base here, but it's my understanding that the
>major factor in post-dive fatigue is nitrogen loading in the body's tissues.
>(It's one of the reasons that I'm such an advocate of the
>'fat-and-over-forty-gas' - and diving it, (where practical), on the air
>tables!)  :-)

It is likely I am the one off base.  I personally do not doubt that diving
Nitrox aids with post-dive fatigue for the reason given in your post. I did
not intend to suggest otherwise.   However, I thought that I had read in
DAN (and/or elsewhere) that studies had been ambiguous on this point, and
so "not proven." In response to your statement re: nitrogen loading in the
bodies tissues, it was claimed that was merely theoretical, and   again,
"not proven."  My recollection was that there existed a group that used
these ambiguous studies to criticize advocating the use of NITROX to aid in
post dive fatigue.  And as I think about it, this was a part of an overall
resistance to NITROX at that time.

Of course, I could be complete out of my mind.

And finally, I look forward to one day having that drink with you!

Dive safe,

/Don