HP3000-L Archives

August 2001, Week 5

From:
Barry Durand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Durand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:48:13 -0700
Okay, I have to chime in here.  Someone recommended Charleston,
originally being from the south I like that idea (but I have never
been to Charleston).   My personal vote would be New Orleans
but given the heat and what happened last time HP World was
in New Orleans, I would understand people's hesitation.

What about other cities such as Orlando (can you say
Disney World?) or Atlanta?

Granted, mid-summer (even late summer) would not be the
best time for cities I mentioned.

Just off the top of my head suggestions..

Barry

On 30 Aug 01, at 14:02, Dave Gale wrote:

> Unfortunately not all cities are equal. It takes a rather large conference
> center to house HPWORLD. I agree that McCormick Place was not user friendly
> and perhaps badly laid out for this type of event. But it did have the
> characteristics of being large enough to handle the floor show and have the
> meeting rooms to handle the other events wrapped around the conference.
>
> While some cities can boast a very attractive conference center, some don't
> have the extra facilities (Airport size, Hotel occupancy, climate ...) and
> support infrastructure to handle this type of conference . When you talk
> about 10,000 attendees, this limits the list of potential cities.
>
> Also Larry, I noticed Phoenix on your list (you lived there didn't you?)
> without the same qualifications as Dallas. While I love Phoenix in the
> spring, somehow running around town in 112 F - 117 F summer heat (where
> flights can be cancelled because the tarmac is too hot) seems less than
> appealing. If they move the conference to the winter months, I would vote to
> have it there :)
>
> Personally I was hoping for Hawaii or perhaps Tahiti.
>
> Blessings

>  >Date:         Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:10:49 -0700
>  >Sender:       HP-3000 Systems Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
>  >From:         Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
>  >Subject:      Re: HPWorld 2002, (was McCormick Place - 2 thumbs down )
>  >To:           [log in to unmask]
>  >
>  >Amen John,
>  >
>  >IMO, I'm tired of San Francisco and Chicago.  There are other major
> metro's
>  >on the East & West Coasts, and points in between.  There's Vegas, Phoenix,
>  >Denver, Salt Lake City, Seattle, Portland (in the West).
>  >What about Atlanta, Dallas (not in August), Cities in Florida, the
>  >Carolina's, New York (skip N.Y. city).  Sorry I couldn't think of other
>  >major cities in the East, I sure others could add to the list.  These
> other
>  >locations would give a greater variety to the conference and allow many
> who
>  >couldn't attend an opportunity to attend if it were closer.

Barry Durand           [log in to unmask]
Allegro Consultants    408.252.2330
http://www.allegro.com/people/durand/index.html
Opinions are mine, not my employer's