HP3000-L Archives

August 2001, Week 5

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:00:00 +0200
Ken,

> I get the same error if I use Tomcat's server.
> Does this mean that I have Tomcat set up incorrectly?

Seems to indicate that the problem is not with the Apache
server or the mod_jserv connectivity module. I am far from
an experienced Tomcat user, however, as a colleague happened
to setup Tomcat on our A-class machine, I gave it a quick
try to see if I run into similar error messages...

Using export TOMCAT_HOME=... and export JAVA_HOME=... I'm
able to bin/tomcat.sh run without major problems (just need
to enter the /bin/sh -L with larger than default NMSTACK as
long as I stay with java -classic and green_threads).

I tried the HelloWorldExample servlet in the webapps/example
subtree to verify that it works ok. Then I copied the .java
to HelloLarsExample.java and adjusted the class name inside
the copy accordingly. I also added some println() to show me
that it is my own copy generating the HTML response.

To compile my servlet, I had to add the .../lib/servlet.jar
and my current directory to CLASSPATH (my first session was
still running the server, so I opened another window). After
this step I surfed to the "customized" URL for my servlet
(http://my3000:8080/examples/servlet/HelloLarsExample) and
it worked quite nicely. No error, proper HTML response.

So my guess is, yes, your Tomcat installation might have some
problem. As far as I recall, it just needs to be unzipped from
the distribution file. No idea what might go wrong there...
except maybe something like out of disc space or overwriting
an older version incompletely. Or maybe some permission issue
with some of the files or libraries?

Did you also run the /bin/sh for Tomcat with larger NMSTACK?

Lars.

PS: The version on my 3000 is Tomcat 3.2.1