HP3000-L Archives

August 2001, Week 5

Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:42:44 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
There you go. Orbit's backup can and will do this, and they will help you
make it so.

Now, what I test-piloted, back when, was some scripting to exclude any files
that we expect to be open, and excluded from the backup. Said scripting
would copy an indirect STORE file, that specified what to store, and
excluded those files whose names were constant and were never backed up, and
append the variably named files for exclusion.

The scripting below would use the permanent file that was the basis for the
temp file, in a group we added named CFG, with a file name that matched the
job name, thus !HPJOBNAME. It would identify those files whose names could
vary, being the spool files for the backup itself and any other running job,
and the log files. My goal was to have no files excluded. The job stream
would then test for the TS_ variables after the STORE.

I assumed that updating anything would probably break this, as new files
were excluded that had not been anticipated. But at least we would know
about it. And, my intention was to, during off hours, and after such an
update, store whatever was updated to $NULL, to see if anything new was
excluded, or for that matter, if previously excluded files were no longer
used.

Here that is.
!#Append open logs & splfiles as filestoexclude to temp indirect file
!PRINT !HPJOBNAME.CFG>!HPJOBNAME
!LISTFILE [log in to unmask],6;SELEQ=[ACCESS=INUSE]>TEMP
!SETVAR FilesToExclude " "
!SETVAR COUNTER 0
!WHILE SETVAR(COUNTER,COUNTER+1)<=FINFO("TEMP","EOF")
!   PRINT TEMP;START=!COUNTER;END=!COUNTER>LINE
!   INPUT SPOOLFILE<LINE
!   SHOWVAR SPOOLFILE
!   SETVAR FilesToExclude FilesToExclude+" -"+RTRIM(SPOOLFILE)
!ENDWHILE
!SHOWVAR FilesToExclude
!SHOWLOG
!LISTFILE LOG####.PUB.SYS,6;SELEQ=[ACCESS=INUSE]>TEMP
!IF CIERROR=OK
!   INPUT LOGFILE<TEMP
!   SETVAR FilesToExclude FilesToExclude+" -"+RTRIM(LOGFILE)
!   SHOWVAR FilesToExclude
!ELSE
!   TELLOP ![CHR(27)]&dJERROR: NO LOG is in use! Notify MidSys!
!   ERRCLEAR
!ENDIF
!LISTFILE NMLG####.PUB.SYS,6;SELEQ=[ACCESS=INUSE]>TEMP
!IF CIERROR=OK
!   INPUT NMLOGFILE<TEMP
!   SETVAR FilesToExclude FilesToExclude+" -"+RTRIM(NMLOGFILE)
!   SHOWVAR FilesToExclude
!ELSE
!   TELLOP ![CHR(27)]&dJWarning: NO NM LOG is in use! Notify MidSys!
!   ERRCLEAR
!ENDIF
!ECHO !FilesToExclude>>!HPJOBNAME

Greg Stigers