HP3000-L Archives

August 2001, Week 4

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:11:50 +0200
> Is there a parameter in Samba which will cause the CR (carriage
> return) to NOT be stripped from the file upon transfer?

Sorry for breaking the Windows view of the world, but on the 3000
there is no CR in the text file that could be stripped by Samba,
even if it would not perform a binary transfer. In fact, the POSIX
layer (well, the type manager in the file system) on MPE/iX is kind
enough to add LF characters to make the MPE file look like a text
file would look like in the Unix world...

Someone once mentioned that the "translate" feature of smbclient
could be used to transfer text files with CR added "on the fly",
but I never found the time to try that myself.

Another potential option might be to add the CR on the 3000 side
as part of the extraction job, for example by using AWK. Quoting
an older HP3000-L thread (thanks to google newsgroup search ;-)

 :xeq /bin/awk " '{print $0 ""\r""}' INFILE > OUTFILE "

Hope this helps. Your mileage may vary.

Lars.