HP3000-L Archives

August 2001, Week 4

From:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 23:13:38 -0400
Thus it was written in the epistle of Jerry Fochtman,
>                                                    One thing that
> the conference team tried very hard to achieve this year was to try
> and group all presentations for a track in the same general area so
> if you were going from say a UNIX talk to an MPE talk, you would go
> to the rooms in the same area.  It is hoped that this helped out,
> in terms of knowing where to go.

It really showed, I think.  If you were staying in one track (as I did, most of
the time), the walking between sessions was minimal.  Further, the MPE track
had the advantage of being next to the vendor and lunch area :-).

> Other than the long walk between keynote and breakouts and other
> issues with the facilities, I'm interested in hearing what folks
> thought about the overall program content and the starting on Monday
> AM instead of Sunday.

I found the content good.  Obviously, I was not delighted that Carly didn't
come, but that was her decision.  I thought that the opening show was well
chosen (at least within the constraints of having it be lighter and not
computer-oriented, and there are some valid arguments for that).  I liked
having the opening get-together out by the water.  There was almost always a
session in which I was interested (and often more than one).  I would have
been glad for the expo to open at 9 instead of 10, but I don't know if the
vendors would have appreciated that.

Regarding starting Monday instead of Sunday, I wasn't particularly happy about
that.  I arrived home well after midnight on Friday night having set my tickets
so that I could get to some Friday afternoon sessions (unfortunately, Tom Renz
was unable to give his--to which I had been looking forward).  I would by far
rather travel out early, stay over a Saturday night (bringing airfares down)
and be there for Sunday and have half or all of Friday to get home.

Thanks for your hard work on the program!

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]) | From the Tom Swifty collection:
Southern Adventist University    | "The escaped prisoner is camping out in the