HP3000-L Archives

August 2001, Week 4

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 23:58:06 +0200
>Is there a version for good 'ol MPE/iX that works in the USA?

Well, I can share MPE diffs to build PGP 5.0i on MPE/iX fairly
easily; you'd "just" have to arrange for licensing with PGP Inc.

At least from the technical side the PGP stuff seems no problem.

Lars.

- - - cut here - - -

PGP 5.0i for MPE/iX

Pretty Good Privacy is a set of programs implementing public key encryption
for digital signatures as well as encryption and decryption of files or
eMail messages. Please visit the PGP web site to make sure that you
understand the licensing conditions (regarding US/Canada export, patents
and non-commercial use).

   * see www.pgpi.org for more info

To build PGP on MPE/iX, I have used the GNU gcc compiler package as well as
a few selected (object) files from the Posix Porting Wrappers on Jazz. The
files that have been compiled with HP C/iX (c89) for convenience (calling
MPE intrinsics is a little easier in HP C/iX than in GNU gcc) are supplied
as .o files, in case you don't have c89 on your system.

   * also see jazz.external.hp.com

To build PGP 5.0i/iX.1 on MPE/iX, you need the following files:

   * pgp50i-unix-src.tar.gz (~ 880 KB) from www.pgpi.org
   * pgp50i-ix1-delta.tar.Z (~ 18.5 KB)
   * pgp50i-ix1-c89-o.tar.Z (~ 2.5 KB)
   * pgp50i-ix1-build.txt

Have fun with PGP for MPE/iX, but keep in mind: use at your own risk

Lars Appel, May 2001

- - - cut here - - -

How to build PGP 5.0i/iX.1

The source code is packaged as a diff against the original PGP 5.0i sources.
Please download pgp50i-unix-src.tar.gz from one of the www.pgpi.org mirror
sites. Instructions below assume a PGPI.ORG logon, because this is my porting
setup.

 :hello manager.sys

 :newacct org,mgr
 :purgeuser mgr.org
 :purgegroup pub.org
 :altacct org; cap=+ph

 :newgroup pgpi.org; access=(r,x:any; w,a,l,s:gl)
 :newuser pgpi.org; pass=whatever; home=pgpi
 :altuser pgpi.org; cap=+ph,gl

 :hello pgpi.org

 :xeq /bin/sh -L

 shell/iX> mkdir build; cd build
 shell/iX> gzip -dc /tmp/pgp50i-unix-src.tar.gz | tar xvopf -
 shell/iX> cd pgp50i/src
 shell/iX> tar xvzopf /tmp/pgp50i-ix1-delta.tar.Z
 shell/iX> tar xvzopf /tmp/pgp50i-ix1-c89-o.tar.Z
 shell/iX> mkdir -p ~/v50i/bin
 shell/iX> mpe/patch.sh
 shell/iX> mpe/build.sh

You are now ready to use the software in /ORG/PGPI/v50i (bin, lib, man, ...)
Please read the licensing conditions on the www.pgpi.org web site carefully!

Have fun using PGP 5.0i/iX, but keep in mind: *use at your own risk*

- - - cut here - - -

PS: Also see http://www.editcorp.com/personal/lars_appel/pgp-ix.html
    but don't expect to find the two tar.Z files there (I did not want
    to get the owner of that US based web site in trouble by offering
    crypto software for download there).