HP3000-L Archives

August 2001, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:37:10 -0700
John Lee wrote:

> I had no real problems.  I did get lost once in McCormick, but only for
> about 5 minutes.

I also managed to get lost, and like somebody else has already noted, the
McCormick map boards are just not very good at showing where you are or how to
get from point A to point B.

> I was surprised, though, at how "run down" the area
> around the Hilton was.  My wife and I strolled around Wed night, and we
> didn't get too far before being accosted and hassled by some people who had
> "run out of gas" and needed, of all things, cash (what a surprise)!!??

The quality of the Hilton area varied depending on whether you were on the main
streets or not.  My wife and I did extensive walking north and east, and only
encountered an average number of beggars for any similar big city.  We thought
the Grant Park area was quite nice, and walked to/from the Buckingham Fountain,
Art Institute, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and the Shedd Aquarium without
any problems.  We also walked over to the Sears Tower, again without incident.
I would agree though that some of the side streets immediately south or west of
the Hilton were a little sketchy.

I am definitely glad I stayed at the Hilton instead of the Hyatt.  From the
limited view on the shuttle bus, it appeared there was absolutely nothing worth
walking to from the Hyatt.

> But
> the Hilton itself I found lovely and elegant, the bus ran regularly
> whenever I needed to use it,

I thought the bus service could have been better.  Would have been nice to have
multiple buses during the 7:30-8:00 morning rush (i.e. the bus would arrive,
fill to capacity and depart, leaving more people waiting on the sidewalk for
the next bus).  On Friday morning, I had to wait more than 20 minutes before
the first allegedly "every 8 minutes" bus showed up.
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...