HP3000-L Archives

August 2001, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 10 Aug 2001 10:01:00 -0500643_iso-8859-1 An update!

Here is what we are currently thinking. Apache will not allow the process
to write to any directory above /APACHE/PUB/htdocs, and rightly so.
However, it appears that the callci posix command needs to build a temporary
file and it uses the users home group as part of the filename.

We proved this by changing the home group for WWW.APACHE from PUB to TEMP.
The error then show a redirection to filename.TEMP.APACHE. Just for giggles
we then changed the user for the job stream and the Apache user to
MANAGER.SYS and the directory callci was redirecting to became
filename.PUB.SYS. [...]54_10Aug200110:01:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:11:41 EDT
Mark remarks:

> Wirt writ:
>
>  >The question remains: "Is it worth doing?"
>
>  Absolutely (with a caveat - QueryCalc and family needs to run
>  on other platforms, too. Maybe it already does that? I've not
>  peeked at it for a while).
>
>  Any excuse to get off of Windows. To be frank, I've been working on
>  trying to get OpenOffice to compile under FreeBSD so I can dump
>  Windows entirely.

This isn't a theological issue with me. As it occurs, the more we've
programmed in Windows, the more I've really gotten to like it and the more
impressed I am with it.

Nonetheless, if we were to make QueryCalc into a full-blown desktop
publishing/graphics/spreadsheet/query language program for the HP3000 (and it
would only be for the HP3000), it would have to add significant value to any
alternative that now exists or it simply wouldn't be worth doing.

I can see that advantage accruing in only two places: (i) the extremely easy
integration of data coming out of existing IMAGE databases (examples: college
transcripts, complex personal letters, marketing material, etc.) and (ii)
large-scale printing operations, where automatability counts for a great deal
(examples: manuals, price books, etc.). Our customers tend to use QueryCalc
primarily for the first, but we (and a few others) use what printing
capabilities that currently exist in QueryCalc primarily for the second
reason.

Wirt Atmar