HP3000-L Archives

August 2001, Week 2

From:
Carl McNamee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl McNamee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:11:25 -0500
The guideline I received from HP and EMC about a year ago is to not have
more than about 48 GB of space assigned to a particular controller if
performance is your goal.  If performance is not as critical then add more
disk to the channel until it hurts!  With the newer, faster drives that are
now out I'm not sure how the 48 GB recommendation gets changed.

You will want to spread the data among the physical EMC disks to avoid
potential bottlenecks.  Because of EMC's numbering scheme this is not hard
to do if you just assign things sequencially.

Just to see how far I could take the Symm box/MPE, I once assigned all the
logical disks, five 4GB partitions to be exact, from a single physical EMC
disk to a single MPE volume set.  Each disk was on its own scsi channel so
througput to the box was at a maximum.  I then started writing data to the
volume set from a couple of batch jobs.  Did you know that MPE will crash if
you fill up the I/O Requests table that keeps track of all the pending
I/O's?  It will!  Ah, another learning experience. :)

Anyway, the moral to this story is that you should spread the volume sets
over physical disks.  In our environment we found that 2-3 logical
partitions from a physical disk was all we could assign to a volume set
without impacting performance.

Hope this helps!

Carl McNamee
Systems Administrator