HP3000-L Archives

August 2001, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 05:46:08 EDT
Randomness is a subject that has come up on this list before and I thought
that the following articles might be of interest to the group. The first is
by Brian Hayes, who I always enjoy reading:

     http://americanscientist.org/issues/Comsci01/compsci2001-07.pdf

and the second is by Intel. A hardware random number generator will
apparently be an integral part of the coming IA chipset:

     ftp://download.intel.com/design/security/rng/techbrief.pdf

One of the questions that every physics student eventually asks is: "Is there
really anything such as 'randomness'? If we knew everything, wouldn't all
randomness disappear?" The answer is probably "yes," but that answer depends
greatly on your interpretation of quantum physics. Is there an unknowable
core to nature? Heisenberg certainly thought so:

     http://www.aip.org/history/heisenberg/p08.htm

Wirt Atmar