SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2001

From:
Kent Lind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:37:17 -0800
Hi folks:

I've been off the list for a spell while I've been off having adventures and
getting married in Chile.

Now I'm happily-married and back in Alaska and thinking about dive vacation
this winter to some place warm.  My wife Isabel is a recreational diver so
that makes the vacation "theme" easy enough.  The possible complication is
her 3 year old daughter who will, of course, come along on any vacation we
plan.

So I'm looking for recommendations for kid-friendly dive vacation spots.
Preferably in the Mexico/Caribbean/Central America region as that is the
most accessible region from Alaska.

I'm assuming that liveaboards are out.  And perhaps also the dive-focused
resorts in remote locations that may not have many interesting things for
kids to do.

Ideally I'd like a spot with a selection of modestly-priced hotels, nice
beaches for the kid to play at, daycare facilities of some sort to take the
kid so we can dive together, and good accessible diving.  I'm thinking about
someplace where Isabel and I can get a good 2-tank dive in during the
morning with the daughter in daycare and then spend the afternoons playing
with her on the beach and just goofing off.  So we probably don't want an
all-inclusive package since we won't know for sure how much diving we'll be
doing vs just goofing off.

Any recommendations folks?  How would Cozumel fit that description?  That's
the one place that comes to mind but never having been to Cozumel I have no
way to judge.  Any other places come to mind?

Thanks,

Kent Lind
Juneau, Alaska