SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2001

From:
Mike Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:42:11 -0500
On 30 Aug 2001, at 10:19, Angelo Pardinas wrote:

> John wrote :
>
> >1) "Why don't you get a computer?"
> >Every little bit of info helps.
> >Then, 2) "With whom are you going on this trip?"
>
> 1. No money  :-)  ...  But I do have plans of buying one after next month's
> salary. I'm still doing some 'research' but I'm leaning on either a Suunto
> Vyper or a Suunto Mosquito. I'll probably bombard the list with some 'dive
> computer' questions a few weeks before I buy one. For now I already have
> the basic gears (fins, mask, snorkel, wetsuit, booties).

The Vyper would be a good choice. It's one that you can "grow" with
as your diving advances. Money should be a problem with regards
to life support equipment though.

> 2. I'm going out with the dive shop where I got my OW card. This way they
> would know exactly how novice I am.
>
>     But one thing that I saw in my OW class is that they have a different
> approach when it comes to 'teaching'. It's like their philosophy is that  a
> diver should be self-sufficient - whether or not he is a novice.

A diver should be self sufficient but one does not become one
overnight so to speak.

 In our
> last 2 open water dives - we did a free descent and free ascent - there
> were no lines of any sort to help us.

Free ascents and free descent should be taught and practiced in
your open water course. They are skills that you will use.

Mike Wallace
Huntsville, Alabama