SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2001

From:
Angelo Pardinas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:58:47 +0800
    Thanks for the offer but I'll probably be able to borrow them from the
library. One of the things I like in Singapore is the library - good
selections - instead of buying diving magazines like Asian Diver, Rodale's
Scuba Diving I just borrow them from the library. And then if I like a
certain issue (maybe 'coz of reviews or a good article) then that's the
time I buy one.
    But sure, I'll buy you a beer when you come here 'though I have to warn
you I would probably be drinking iced tea 'coz I seem to have an allergy to
alcohol. For some reason, I turn very very red even with just a gulp ... if
I dive like this in florida I'd probaby be mistaken for a lobster and get
speared  :-)    ....  Plus I like tequilla better ...

- Angelo

                    David Strike
                    <strikinc@OZEMA        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    IL.COM.AU>             cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     [SCUBA-SE] Bubble-Trubble!  (Was: Re:
                    SouthEast US           [SCUBA-SE] Knowing ascent              rate etc.)
                    Scuba Diving
                    Travel list
                    <SCUBA-SE@RAVEN
                    .UTC.EDU>

                    08/30/01 05:56
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to SouthEast US
                    Scuba Diving
                    Travel list

On Tuesday, August 28, 2001 5:48 PM, Angelo Pardinas wrote:
 (snip)
>     How do you guys monitor your ascent rate (without a dive comp) - is
> the 'slower than our bubbles' ok ?

I've been catching up - and properly reading - the posts of the last couple
of days and was intrigued by one poster who suggested that historically
ascent rates were based on the speed of medium sized bubbles?  Never having
carried a micrometer with me when diving, (and not knowing of any other
divers who have, either!),  I can honestly say that I don't know exactly
when a large bubble becomes a medium-sized one?  Or when a medium-sized one
becomes a small one?  :-)

That being the case, when using the, "follow the bubble" technique, just go
with the smallest and slowest - which is what more than a few "old 'n'
bolds" told me to do!  :-)

Angelo!  At this stage in your diving, you're - hopefully - not intent on
setting depth records, or considering decompression diving?  (And before
anyone says anything, I already know that EVERY dive is a decompression
dive.)  :-)

However, it is worth your while to do some reading about decompression -
and
at the same time building up a library of personal reference works.  As a
starting point allow me to suggest, "Beating The Bends", by Alex Brylske,
and "Deeper into Decompression", by John Lippmann.

I'd be happy to loan you my copies if you wish? on the understanding that
they're returned in good condition and that you buy me a beer when I'm next
in Singapore!  (Which - at the latest - will be next April, for the Asian
Dive Expo.)  :-)

Strike