SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:50:44 +1000
On Tuesday, August 28, 2001 5:48 PM, Angelo Pardinas wrote:

(snip)
>     How do you guys monitor your ascent rate (without a dive comp) - is
the
> 'slower than our bubbles' ok ? I read somewhere about a diver using 2
> breathes to one kick as his way doing slow ascents.

G'Day, Angelo!  First be aware that ascent rates are essentially a feature
of whatever tables you happen to be using.  Although it's generally agreed
that 'slower is better than faster', your ascent rate must be based on those
recommended by the table.  A dive computer has this feature built in and
takes away all of the concern.  But lacking one of those, going slower than
your slowest bubbles is certainly one way of gauging a 'safe' ascent rate.

At a personal level, I have some doubts about measuring ascent by monitoring
kicks and breath ratios!  Not least because - also having to maintain a
constant volume of gas in your BCD - you're starting to task load yourself.
Not a good thing!  :-)

Ascents are, of course, made easier to control if you're able to come up a
shot rope or anchor line.  In blue-water it's more problematic - especially
at night or in bad visibility.

>    And last, how do you know the maximum depth you reached in a dive (no
> dive comp.) - do you keep on looking at the SPG every time you feel that
> you went deeper. I've read how some SPG's have another needle that will
> keep track of the max. depth reached but I haven't seen it in the rental
> SPGs that I've used in my OW class ....

Your confusing the SPG - that measures the gas content in the cylinder -
with a depth gauge!  :-)

As Mike and Chuck have already pointed out, use a depth gauge that has a
maximum depth indicator.  Even better - to my way of thinking, (and if you
can't afford to rent or buy a computer) - is to have a combined digital
timer/depth device.  Usually they will kick in at, say, 0.5 metre, and give
you a constant read-out of underwater time, (NOT bottom time!); your present
depth and the deepest depth reached during the dive.  Some even indicate
water temperature so that you know how cold you are; and - depending on the
model - whether you're exceeding a safe ascent rate based on a
pre-programmed algorithm!  :-)

Angelo!  The big thing to remember about diving is that the ability to
breathe underwater from a cylinder is easy.  My old granny could do it!
It's the ability to do so safely that matters.  In that regard there are no
short-cuts.  And cost should never be an issue.  If you're going to dive -
and if you want to properly enjoy the experience - then it's worth outlaying
the money on some basic equipment of your own, or in renting the correct
gear!

To quote an extract from an article written by Michael Menduno in an early
issue of 'AQUACorps' magazine:

"Above all, if you're not prepared to do it right, don't do it."

Strike