SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2001

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 23:35:32 -0400
Angelo Pardinas wrote:

> Anyway, thanks for all the info. What I'll do now is calculate the
> exact number of seconds it would take me to ascend 1 meter (Singapore is a
> "metric" country) ...

As are so many of the more sane parts of this world we live in.  Those I
know who prefer meters to feet use, I believe, a rate of 10 meters per
minute which works out to pretty much the same thing.  The idea here is not
to hit a precise rate but to keep your rate slow and in the recommended
range.   Thousands of dives were done sucessfully with ascents that followed
medium sized bubbles and the prevoiusly recommended rate of 60 feet per
minute/20 meters per minute.  Even now, as research will show you, variable
rates with non mandatory decompression stops at deep and frequent intervals
are becoming increasingly popular.

Lee