HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 5

From:
Andreas Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:24:55 +0100
Hi Raymond,

we do the same to protect some Intranet areas. It's very easy:

* in the folder you want to protect put a file named .htaccess (or
equivalent, name is defined in srm.conf, nowadays also in httpd.conf, with
option
     AccessFileName .htaccess (or any other name).

.htaccess should look alike
     AuthUserFile /APACHE/PUB/security/.htpasswd
     AuthGroupFile /dev/null
     AuthName Access to HP3000 Apache Test Area
     AuthType Basic

     <Limit GET>
     require user as3223
     </Limit>
where in this case the user/password file sits in /APACHE/PUB/security/ and is named .htpasswd.

The user (here as3223) is NOT a MPE user - it's a user within Apache for this kind of authentication.

The file .htpasswd has been built by
/APACHE/PUB/apache_1.2.5_mpe/support/htpasswd. It may sit in another place
in your installation.
The Usage: htpasswd [-c] passwordfile username
The -c flag creates a new file.

It is possible to have a cgi to change the passwords as well (but this I didn't test so far).

Hope this will help,
best regards, Andreas Schmidt, CSC, Germany

"Legault, Raymond D" <[log in to unmask]>@RAVEN.UTC.EDU> on
30/07/2001 22:39:14

Please respond to "Legault, Raymond D" <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  HP-3000 Systems Discussion <[log in to unmask]>