HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 4

From:
MIKE STEFFEN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MIKE STEFFEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:42:49 -0400
     My original question on this thread was concerned with a file which
was being written when the system failed.  Apparently, it must be attached
to the transaction manager to survive.  The case below is of a slightly
different nature:

     Is there a point where a file does get written to disk for sure?
     Maybe when it is closed (using a normal Cobol close)?  Or when the
     process that created it ends?

     I am wondering because we have a program which finds orders in a
     certain status, reads those orders and writes a flat file which we
     send to our vendor for ordering.  Then at the end of the orders, the
     flat file is closed and the Image database is updated to mark those
     orders to another status.  Let's say that my program ends normally,
     then the system dies a second or so later.  Is my file still sitting
     in memory and thus at risk of being lost, or is there a definite event
     that insures my file is preserved since the process that created it
     finished processing?

     Thanks for any insight you can provide,

     Mike Steffen
     World Almanac Education