HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 4

From:
Paul H Christidis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul H Christidis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:21:12 -0700
James,

We had the same situation about 2 months ago.    Our 969/220 has a 1.8KVA
UPS supporting the CPU and a couple internal drives while a 3.0KVA UPS
supports the rest of the hardware.  The second UPS 'died' (ran out of
power) during the outage but luckily the one supporting the CPU lasted for
the duration of the outage.  When AC power was restored the disks spun up
and the system continued running without any 'ill effects'.  We did however
have the symptoms you described on our 3.0KVA UPS.

The CE concluded that the batteries needed to be changed and thus we
scheduled some time for the swap.  I also insisted that a spare UPS be
brought along, in case the problem was with the electronics.  We ended up
replacing only the batteries, and a 'shutdown' was necessary.

Regards
Paul Christidis

P.S.  Make sure that the correct number of batteries are delivered.  It
used to be that each 'replacement pack' contained 4 batteries and it
included the 'metal box' that said batteries are installed in.  Now each
'pack' has two batteries and the old 'metal box' is used.  Our 3.0KVA
needed 8 batteries, I'd suspect that your 5.5KVA would need 12.

Greetings,

Last weekend we lost power for 2 + hours. The good news is all three
3000's ran on ups the entire time. The bad news is that my
HP3000-969-220 k box has a 5.5kva UPS with the alarm light in yellow and
a beeping every 10 seconds. The a/c output light is green, and the
battery power light is off. The enable light on the back is green.

The CE believes this is either a) a deeply discharged battery which
needs to be reset or b) the battery needs to be replaced. Has anyone
seen this situation before? Is a shutdown necessary/ advised ?

James P Lagger
Manager of Operations
Lucas County Data Processing
One Government Center #400