HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 4

From:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:39:48 -0700
Did this get resurrected as a result of your vacation, Mark?  ;-)

As Lars replied on 7/13,
tracy>>[within FTP,] how would I ls vs the current local directory?
Lars>I would try something like ftp> :/bin/ls -al

Which nicely points out that I'd do it by issuing an MPE command which
invokes the posix ls; the posix shell is not directly available.  If I were
on a Unix box, I'd be running a Unix ftp client, which would likely have all
the l-prefixed commands implemented, so I'd use something like ldir, no bang
(the answer to my defacto standard question), no colon.  These commands were
simply not implemented in MPE's FTP client - "we don't need 'em, we have
callci" (and I think I agree with that reasoning).

Subsequent discussion re possible problems with having MPE's FTP client
upgraded to support !bang is largely just that, imho.

And I note that the :/bin/ls solution isn't, actually; there's no shell to
expand on constructs like *.*.  Again, FTP is MPE-aware, use an mpe command
for best results.

This might be the example we were looking for last week: what's the
difference twixt an MPE program and a Posix program?

I sure hope you had a great vacation; I'm sure you're already quite fondly
looking forward to the next one.  That longing will pass, or at least fade
for a while.  Welcome back (and this week I'll ask a bunch of neophyte Samba
questions)!

Tracy Pierce