HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:26:08 -0700
Hi HP3000-L,

"Johnson, Tracy" wrote:

> I opened up my 3000 News Wire and saw on the yellow sheet
> anticipation of "official" support of Perl 5.7.x on the
> [HP]e3000.
>
> Yum.
>
> So, will it be able to make TurboImage calls?

This is not quite correct; let's see if I can clarify things.

There was a 2001 SIB item for "supported Perl as a part of WebWise" that
finished in the Top 10 vote getters.  Literally as I type this, I am beginning
the final packaging of Perl 5.6.1 as a result of this SIB item.

However, the initial CSY plans are to distribute Perl 5.6.1 via jazz as
unsupported freeware.  This will be an upgrade from the bixby.org 5.6.0
version, and all diffs have been submitted back to the official Perl developers
and are currently included in the 5.7.2 developer release (which will
eventually become the 5.8.0 public release).

An HP-supported version of Perl is merely "under consideration" at this time.
Note that this does not yet mean "yes" or "no".  If you come to my Perl
presentation at HPWorld, I will see if I can have a firmer answer by then.

The Perl distribution I am working on is just basic vanilla Perl.  It will not
come bundled with Ted Ashton's TurboImage module or any other non-standard
module.  If you want to play with the TurboImage support, you will have to
download it separately and build it yourselves.

HP support for the Perl TurboImage module is not currently under consideration.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.  Thanks!
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...