HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 3

From:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:12:18 -0400
I have been holding off as long as possible on upgrading to MPE 6.5 until I
was sure it's stable. We run a 24x7 call center with no tolerance for down
time (read: system failure). However, as you are aware, Ecometry has been
pushing the 6.5 upgrade on its customers. I have been contending that we
should be able to compile Ecometry code fixes on our system and run them on
a prior version of MPE (5.5 or 6.0), since my understanding is that all
current versions of Ecometry will run on MPE 5.5 and 6.0.

I had been planning on doing the 6.5 upgrade after our winter peak season,
sometime in January, when down time isn't quite such an issue. In the
meantime, I had discussed with our Ecometry support person the possibility
of compiling program fixes here. But I just got an email with this statement
from one of our programmers:

> Since Ecometry is taking advantage of OS enhancements we could (most
> likely would) have problems, depending on the program that was fixed.

This is in direct contradiction to what I have been told, that all current
Ecometry versions will run on 5.5 and 6.0. I don't know who at Ecometry told
her that, but now I need to know:

 o  What is your current hardware? (we have a 989-250 and a 969-120)
 o  What version of MPE are you running? (we have 5.5 and 6.0)
 o  What version of Ecometry are you running? (we are on 3.31+some 4.5 code)

I'd love to be able to say, "I know for a fact that there are users running
Ecometry 5.3 on MPE 6.0," but I can't do that if no one is (I'm too honest).
I'd also like to know how many of you have made the upgrade to 6.5, and if
so, have you experienced any downtime attributable to 6.5. My point being
that system stability/availability should be a higher priority when
considering this upgrade than a vendor's scare tactics (my perception, and I
know I could be wrong).

Quick responses appreciated, since she also asked if I've rescheduled the
upgrade -- and cc'd my management. (Feel free to call if you don't want to
write. My phone number's below.)

I will consolidate responses and summarize to the list. The more people who
have this info the better.

TIA
Patrick
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick Santucci
HPe3000 Systems Administrator

Cornerstone Brands, Inc.
5568 West Chester Rd.
West Chester, OH  45069-2914
phone:  (513) 603-1138

All information in this document is the property of Cornerstone Brands,
Inc., and any confidential information contained herein is intended solely
for the use of its employees and designated agents. Unauthorized use,
including but not limited to the dissemination and/or distribution of
confidential information to unauthorized parties, is expressly prohibited
and may be a prosecutable offense.