HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:55:56 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
Well, I'm happy to help you with the ftp part.

If you are ftping FROM the 3000 to some host, why not handle the login
sequence more normally? I'm no UNIX guru, by any stretch, but I've done
scripted ftps on four platforms, and never handled the login on the same
command line as the put. Why not just separate these?
ftpuser password
put XYZ

Now, what I do like to do, and have done this on the 3000, on an OS/390
mainframe, and am looking to do this on a Linux box, is use a NETRC file,
then secured the dickens out of the NETRC file. A netrc file contains three
tokens and three values per record, for as many hosts or even aliases as you
care to have. So:
MACHINE ftp.foo.com LOGIN jrandom PASSWORD itsasecret
MACHINE ftp.bar.com LOGIN someuser PASSWORD 7&5%3#0~

You get the idea. Last time I checked the LaserROM, HP had only one article
on this for MPE. I can send you the reference, or the article, and I've
posted on this more than once on the L, so you can find those on Raven. The
neat part is that you can file equate NETRC.homegroup = somefile.secured.sys
(logon UDC is a good way to do this), allowing just R & L rights, preferably
for just the job user name, with an ACD. Then, properly secured, no one else
but the system manager can actually see this file. Of course, I usually use
a non-IA user for ftp jobs, and otherwise restrict access, such as
passwording the home group.

When you ftp ftp.foo.com, ftp looks up the host name in the netrc file. If
it's NOT found, ftp prompts for logon. If it IS found, the logon is handled
automagically, and the password hidden. So, there's no need to script for
user names or passwords for that host. Neat, huh?

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com