HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:32:39 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
Yes and no.

The user can also be the same user as the daemon is running under. So, no,
kill does not require the user to have SM in order to send a signal to
another process. But, inetd runs under manager.sys, so... yes, in order to
use kill to send a message to inetd, you have to be manager.sys (frankly,
I'm not sure if another user with SM can use kill to send a signal to inetd
running under manager.sys).

Why this matters is that mgr.apache can signal httpd and httpds, mgr.samba
can signal smbd and nmbd, mgr.ntp can signal ntpd, server.sendmail can
signal...

I have not seen an announcement that ps has been fixed to work in batch, so
we cannot have jobs to kill any of these daemons that do not write their
pids to files (like Apache's httpd does for us). Unless they are compelled
to do so by the scripting that Mark has previously provided, these have to
be killed in a session, preferably from a sign on under the user from which
the daemon runs.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com
killing daemons seems to Halloweeny...