HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 3

From:
Tony Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:00:12 +0100
...It is a bug, but appears to have been in place a long time.....

... Is the correct fix to make it reject such devices at the time of creating the
file equation or to make the code which uses the file equation make the same
call and work in the same fashion?.....

Ted....

>> As the originator of this warning, I think the correct fix is to fully parse the command line - and to insist that the next significant character after the device number is either a space or a semi-colon (or possibly a CR character).

my $0.02

P.S. The reason it's important to me is that the users can choose their printer name in a lot of their screens.  And if they type 1LP rather than LP, then the program doesn't reject their input but then abort/fails when attempting to open the printfile.

At least we protect against these failures using declaratives.  Phew.

I think we can live with the problem for now.