HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 2

From:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:52:37 -0700
Steve writes:

<snip>
travel in Europe is distinctly different from what most
Americans are used to, "especially during the tourist season". The
difference being that, at any given time, there are many more "furriners"
(American and other), both per square km and per native caput, in most any
European location than there are in almost any US location.
doesn't mean that there are necessarily any more
criminals per useful citizen there than anywhere else; but the ones that do
exist are smart enough to fish where the fish are.
</snip>

I see your point, and you are correct that there may be more persons milling
about beneath the Eiffel Tower trying to steal people's money that there
might be at the Mall of the Americas, but I still don't think this is
different from any other travel.  Known tourist cities, and specifically
tourism centers within them (Pier 39 on the San Francisco waterfront, or the
gravel walking area under the Eiffel Tower) are areas where disreputable
people often make their living.  I think the concentration of tourists is
higher at the attractions, and that makes the temptation too sweet for those
who would use it.

The precautions I would take to safeguard my valuables at Disneyland are the
same precautions I would take ambling around Westminister Abbey, or on a
boat tour of Paris, or on a walking tour through Berlin.  Specifically, I
try to be aware of my surroundings and the people around me, I keep the
valuables I'm carrying in inside pockets or hanging wallet, I do not keep
all my money in the same place, I do not carry items I cannot replace (if
possible), and I utilize official resources (information booths, posted
signs, etc) over instructions from other persons.

Vacations are meant to be fun, but sometimes you need to have one person in
the group who acts like a spoilsport in order to keep everyone grounded.  My
take on travel is simply that you can have fun without losing your head; and
that methodology is applicable regardless of the country you are visiting.

Rs~

My ideas, my comments, not my employers.