HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 2

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 16:31:21 -0700
At 02:31 PM 7/8/2001, Charlie wrote:
>I have a HP3000 Model 932 that is being removed from our computer room
>shortly.  This machine for many years ran a application that stored
>our Fleet data in a Image3000 database.  This data stretches back in
>some cases past 1985 and up to when we moved off the machine in late
>1999.  Before the machine is moved out of the computer room I would
>like to move this database(s) from the HP3000 out to our network and
>then either leave it on the network or place it on a PC's local hard
>drive.  The movement of the databases is not my problem, and I do not
>wish to run the application that used to feed these databases.  What I
>am searching for is a piece of software that would allow me to
>read/query/report on the data contained in these databases once they
>have been moved out to our network or local PC hard drive..  The
>software should be Windows 95/98/NT campatible or at least 98/NT
>capatible.  The only alternative I can think of right now is to
>migrate the data to a pc based format, perhaps something like Access.
>Would appreicate any suggestions, or leads on possible software that
>might do what I'm looking for.

You are pretty much correct, although I think I would use something that
scaled better than Access and is free like PostgreSQL.  You can use ODBC to
connect to it through whatever tools you like.  The cheap way to do it is
to do 'query save' on the tables, transfer them to your PC and then use the
'copy' function (I think it's called) and dump the data in.

>I can be reached at either of the email addresses below.. Thanks for
>any help in advance.
>
>Charlie Blankfard
>
>Work email address: [log in to unmask]
>Home email address: [log in to unmask]