HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:02:36 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
It's hard to imagine what incentive local police have to prevent crime
against travelers. If they're robbing you, they're probably not robbing
tax-paying citizens nor burglarizing their homes. Tourists are likely to be
carrying currency and other valuables, and make easy prey.

My family had been forewarned before we traveled abroad in the 80s, so
carried our valuables in pouches under our shirts which hung around our
necks. My dad nevertheless carried his wallet. First he had his travelers
checks lifted from his pocket, then, on the bus ride to the police station
to report that, had his wallet lifted. His wallet contained his US drivers
license, a military id (which in some countries is accepted as
identification just as would a passport), and some major credit cards. The
police mailed it back to him weeks later, with only the cash missing. At
least where we were traveling, it was the unemployed that turned to these
easy pickings, rather than a well-organized crime ring. Coming from the
airport, we were descended upon by a yelling crowd carrying blank pieces of
cardboard aloft as though they were signs. When we boarded the tram to the
busses, I found that the pockets of my backpack were unzipped.

Find some way to secure any valuables, such that they cannot easily be
grabbed. Do not keep your film with your camera. Birket's story makes it
sound like it could be prudent to mail one's film home, once it has been
used. Research crime on tourists in your destination, and find out what form
it has taken, and what tips there may be to avoid it, or at least reduce its
impact. Your travel agent and even your local police can provide advice on
how to make your carryable secure. As perverse as it may sound, carrying a
cheap, empty wallet (or one padded with various papers and other
non-valuables) and the like may reduce the chance of actual valuables being
grabbed instead. Any time you use your valuables (camera, electronics,
money), you are potentially showing someone what to grab and where you keep
it. All you can do is keep your eyes open and be even more cautious once you
have done this.

As for what to do after the fact, USO clubs and the American embassy are
probably among your best points of contact.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com