HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 1

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:46:14 -0600
On Wed, 4 Jul 2001 01:30:35 -0500 (Central Daylight Time), "Chana,
Harpreet TCS1C" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>I have HP9000-K320 machine with 10:20 Version. I am not able to merge 2
>files which are more than 2GB each. Cobol compiler giving an error.
>
>Is their any Cobol compiler limitation.

HP-UX considers files over 2GB as "large files". Working with "large
files" requires that a) you build the filesystem which houses them
with "large file support" and b) that you use the "large file" file
functions in your code.

Verify that you have large file support turned on for your the file
systems you are working in. (If this is not turned on, you will have
to rebuild the file system with this support turned on ... this will
require backing up everything on the file system, destroying the file
system, and rebuilding it with the proper flags. Obviously, your
sysadmin should be handling this). You might test using the 'cat'
command to figure out if you can take these 2 2GB files and combine
them into a 4GB file. If you don't have large file support turned on,
this operation will fail.

Then you will have to look in your COBOL compiler documentation to
figure out how to use the file functions which have large file
support, if it even has that.