HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 1

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:30:19 -0700
The plus sign means relative positioning, so :SKIPEOF=,+2 doesn't mean this
is the second file on the tape, it means it is two files forward of the
current position.  If you are adding multiple files with similar attributes,
you could do the following:
:FCOPY
>FROM=FILE1;TO=*TAPEFILE
>FROM=FILE2;TO=*;SKIPEOF=,+1
>FROM=FILE3;TO=*;SKIPEOF=,+1
.
.

The use of the "TO=*" keeps FCOPY from rewinding and unloading the tape
after each file, so only one tape mount is required.  Unfortunately, I don't
think this will work if the record attributes are different (thus your
question about whether those attributes must be specified in the FILE
command), but I have never tried it.  It seems an experiment is in order
here.  Perhaps FCOPY can copy the attributes from the FROM file.  If you
have to use different file commands (and different FCOPYs), you should use
absolute file numbers rather than relative ones (omit the plus sign).