HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 1

From:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:19:44 -0400
Ron Horner notes:

> BOUND() will only test for the existance of one var.  You may have to
> do a showvar >tempfile and search the file.

No search needed, because SHOWVAR *does* support wildcarding, which you
probably already knew. So you could do:

SETJCW CIERROR 0
SHOWVAR FRUIT_@ >$NULL
IF CIERROR = 8116
  # "No match found for this variable set. (CIWARN 8116)"
  SETVAR FRUIT_BASKET "var1"
  SETVAR FRUIT_BASKET_OF_APPLES "var2"
  SETVAR FRUIT_BASKET_OF_ORANGES "var3"
ELSE
  ECHO Conflicting CI var names will result, please verify any CI vars &
       that are prefixed by FRUIT_
ENDIF

Side note: personally I'd be nervous about enhancing BOUND to do
wildcarding, and probably wouldn't use it if it was. You never know when
variables not in use today might be in use tomorrow, and break (or at least
confuse) your script because a wildcarded BOUND check found it. Hate to say
it but... it's BOUND to happen. :-)

HTH,
Patrick
Patrick Santucci