HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 1

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:23:49 -0400
David Burney writes:

> I'm curious and could use a bit of edification
> on this one.
>
> I issued VERSION INETD.NET.SYS and saw
>
> <snip>...
>
> CAPABILITIES : BA,IA,PM,PH
>
> <snip>...
>
> Yet when I type INETD.NET.SYS I see the same
> message as Andreas.
>
> I thought using VERSION was a method of
> determining what capabilities were required
> to run a program.
>
> Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

VERSION (and LINKEDIT's LISTPROG command) show what capabilities the PROGRAM
requires to run. These are checked by the loader to make sure that group and
account have the necessary capabilities as well. The capabilities that you
can assign to a program are limited to IA,BA,DS,MR,PM,PH.

In this case, the program is doing its own further checking to make sure the
user has specific capabilities that the writer's of the program deemed
important.

With inetd, even a user with SM capability cannot kill inetd. It appears to
be hardcoded for MANAGER.SYS.  My guess would be that it started as source
from UNIX that was programmed to look for root user (or UID 0) and chose to
replace it with the closest MPE equivalent of MANAGER.SYS or UID 1.

Doug.

Doug Werth                             Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                               Cincinnati, Ohio