HP3000-L Archives

July 2001, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 08:38:04 -0700
Dave wrote:

> Mark,
>     I would like to add this to a Sendmail app you helped me develop.
> However there seem s to be a great deal about SSL, and S/MIME that I do not
> know.  Is there a source you could point me to? S/MIME for dummys? SSL in a
> nutshell?    I am sure I am not the only one out here.

For a good intro to SSL and X.509 digital certificates, see the ModSSL manual
at:

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_intro.html

AFAIK, SSL has no involvement with S/MIME.  However, S/MIME makes use of
digital certificates and signatures, so the above URL is still relevant.

I don't have any good S/MIME URLs memorized, but a Google search for "S/MIME
tutorial" turns up a whole bunch of stuff.

Regarding sendmail -- you can use S/MIME today with the existing bixby.org
sendmail 8.9.1 port since S/MIME is just a special e-mail message format and
has nothing to do with the TCP-level transport of the actual message bits.

But you cannot use SSL with bixby.org sendmail 8.9.1 because that does change
how the message bits are transported.  The latest & greatest version of
sendmail has an option for building with SSL capability, but that port has not
yet been completed.
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve scarce California electrons...