SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:46:20 +1000
On Wednesday, July 04, 2001 10:52 AM, Kuty wrote:

(Big - and undeserved - snip) :-)
> I am convinced that these magnificent and intelligent creatures were
> marking the spot for us.    I am sure that they understood what we were
> doing and I am sure that they tried to tell us: "Hey, guys, it's here.  We
> share your grief for your fellow men and we want you to find your friends
> and get them a proper burial."

> I love dolphins.

G'Day, Kuty!  Thanks for the thought provoking tale as well as the insight
into the type of diving that you sometimes have to do.

Dolphins and whales - more than any other marine creature - certainly seem
to have a profound effect on those privileged to see and dive with them.
Some years back, my buddy and I were in the water when several Minke whales
decided to 'check us out'.  Looking into their eyes and seeing the
intelligence there remains one of my most sublime and moving experiences
and - more than any rational arguments could ever do - convinced me that the
hunting and killing of such creatures was morally indefensible.

Strike