SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2001

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 01:20:08 -0400
Steven Catron wrote:

> First, does anyone here use a bungeed alternate regulator, and
> second, do you ever have problems accessing it?

Yes and no.  My alternate is configured this way and I have no problems
accessing it.

> I recently switched from an Air2 setup to an R190 on surgical
> tubing, but with a hood and 5mm gloves, I had serious difficulties finding
> and using the reg.  It wasn't nearly as easy to find as I'd imagined, nor
> would it stay on the tubing when I tried using it.  Post dive it always
> separated as I tried to take it off, but that's no big deal.

It sounds like you have something wrong.  My alternate is, literally, on a
bungee cord.  It's relatively small diameter and tied to itself at both ends
to form a neck loop and a smaller regulator loop.  The smaller loop is
passed over the mouthpiece and pulled tight.  The knots slide, allowing it
to pull as snug as I care for without pulling tight enough to fail to
release if I want.  It never separates on me.

My alternate is not as tight up under my chin as the cave divers like.  My
goal is to keep it close, but out of the way of my primary.   Since I know
right where it is, I have no problem putting my hand on it.  If yours is not
centered on your upper chest, right under your chin, experiement with a
slightly longer hose.  As I recall, mine is a couple inches longer than the
standard DIR configuration but still considerably shorter than a standard
primary hose.

If all else fails, get some up close and personal assistance.  Someone who
is there is more likely to be able to identify the problem than I every will
be from here.

Lee