SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2001

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:40:46 -0400
Angelo Pardinas wrote:

> That's the problem with having no equipment of my own - can't practice
> doing stuff. All I could do is visualize doing some underwater skills or
in
> some cases - like the Alternate Air Source, Buddy breathing, Mask Clearing
> - practice it with my girlfriend using "invisible" diving gear. Imagine
> passing an invisible regulator back and forth while saying
'aaaaahhhhhhhhh'
> while sitting in the living room - like being one of those "white-painted
> face" person (mime ?) with his imaginary glass :-) ...

Your point is well made.  You description of mime practice put a smile on my
face.  Thanks.  I'm sure others will have ideas for you but there really is
no substitute for practice.  A lot of very good divers practice a few skills
with their buddies at the beginning of each dive.  Perhaps the best answer
for you, for now, is to do the same and/or practice during your safety stop.
For me, thinking about the risks and how I might deal with them has always
been helpful, particularly for risks that are to be avoided even for the
purpose of practice.

Lee