SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2001

From:
Robert Delfs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:51:45 +0800
I've just come back from four days diving in Puerto Galea.  Inspired by
postings from Barry Lipman (and others), I tried using a converter with
a diopter to shoot the pygmy seahorses.

http://www.tabula-international.com/UW/PG3/Pyg1.html
http://www.tabula-international.com/UW/PG3/Pyg2.html

The results seem much more successful than my last efforts , at least
to me.

The set-up includes a Kenko N-AFD 2X (Teleplus MC4) converter and a
Nikon 4T (about 3.0) diopter at the other end of the 105 mm macro lens.
 I used a 50 mm extension ring with the long flat port to accomodate
the converter.   The multi-element 4T diopter is, I think, an important
factor - before I was trying to use a Subal +4 diopter.  Auto-focus
(all I have) worked MUCH better with this new set-up, despite the
higher magnification.

I was able to fill the frame completely with the seahorse in sharp
focus on some shots, which I estimate would be a magnification of at
least 2:1, or perhaps even better.  Unfortunately, the subject was
facing away from the camera in these shots.

This trip was also the first time I'd used a second strobe.  I'm a
convert.  There are some other shots from the trip, including a
harlequin shrimp, pink frogfish, chromodoris coi nudi, etc.) at:

http://www.tabula-international.com/UW/PG3/PG3.html

Regards,

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

Robert Delfs